Ornament Along Week 1: Hexies Wreath!
Welcome to the Ornament Along! I am so incredibly excited to celebrate the Holidays with all of you! We can craft-out together for twelve weeks, then kick back with some hot chocolate to enjoy our matching handmade ornaments!
Week 1 is the Hexies Wreath - here is a picture of mine, and you can see Mathew's on his blog! Making this wreath is a lot of fun...
Before we get to the tutorial, I want to encourage you to post your progress to Instagram using the hashtag #ornamentalong. Mathew and I will be picking someone at random from the hashtag this week - and our first week's prize is awesome! Emmaline Bags has donated a $50 shopping spree at their online store!
Follow the steps below to make your own Hexies Wreath! You can also watch the process in this video I made.
12 Charms (5” x 5” squares of fabric)
- Print two copies of the circle pattern pieces.
- Cut out six circle pattern pieces.
- Place two charms right sides together and pin.
- Trace the pattern onto the wrong side of one charm and cut out the circle.*
- Sew 1/4 inside the circle, leaving a 1.5 inch opening for turning.
- Snip triangles out of the seam allowance around the entire circle (or use pinking shears).
- Turn the circle right side out and carefully tuck in the seam from the opening. Press.
- Topstitch 1/8 around the circle, closing the opening, or whipstitch the opening closed.
- Repeat steps 3-8 for the remaining five circles.
- Fold a circle in half, creating a crease in the fabric.
- Lining up the ends of this crease, fold the circle in half again. The creased lines should look like a plus sign.
- From the back of the circle, insert a threaded needle into the middle, where the lines intersect.
- Catch one of the ends of a crease line with the needle and sew into it, bringing the flap of the circle down to the middle. Hold with your finger.
- Insert needle into tip of the right most corner and bring it to the middle.
- Continue until the last corner has been folded into the middle.
- Secure into the middle with a few stitches. Your circle should now be a hexagon!
- Repeat steps 10-16 for remaining five circles.
- Arrange hexies in a circle and whipstitch together.
- Attach a ribbon to hang and enjoy your new Hexie Wreath Ornament!
*save your scraps for a future ornament - hint hint!
I'd love to see your version of the Hexies Wreath! Use the hashtag #hexieswreath so I can marvel at how awesome yours is!
This post may contain affiliate links.